Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chapter 6- A Heart that Submits

Oh no, it's that word again!! In our society it has become a taboo word and has even been dropped by some minister's in the wedding vows! Ephesians 5:22- "Wives, submit to your own husbands." As much as some would like, we can't drop it from God's Word! Here we can read it, plain and simple. Not only are we called to serve our husbands, but we are also called to submit to him. I wonder if you are thinking what I'm thinking, "Really? I have to do this too, Lord." And His response is "Yes, if you want to be a woman after my heart."

Submission is something that, as followers of Christ, we are all called to- men and women alike, so this shouldn't be something that we get "stuck" on. Submission isn't barking orders out, making everyone jump, throwing your weight around and demanding submission, it is realizing that the man has the final responsibility. The husband is accountable to God for his leadership decisions, and we are accountable to God for how we submit to that leadership. "Our husband answers to God for leading and we answer to Him for following."

My favorite part of this chapter is the "How" part! It really is simple, "as unto the Lord." Colossians 3:23- "Whatever you do {including submitting to my husband}, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men." The best advice I was ever given as a young bride, 20 yrs old, was to complete each task as I was doing it for the Lord. That meant even picking up his dirty clothes, as if they were the Lord's clothes!! I know that since the Lord is perfect he wouldn't ever leave his clothes on the floor, but it did help to silence the thoughts running through my mind as I repeatedly picked those up. Whenever the battle seems harder than normal, I do the things I need to do for the Lord. This is a total mindset ladies and if you can master it and not over think it, it will help you as you submit and serve- not only your husbands, but your family as well.

No comments: