Thursday, April 1, 2010

Chapter 7 & 8 A Heart That Loves

Titus 2:4 "Admonish the young women to love their husbands." What exactly does that mean to "love" our husbands. The word used here is the friendship kind of love- phileo. Our love for our husband should be the kind that cherishes, enjoys, and likes our husband. Our husband needs to know that he is our best friend and that we want to be with him more than any other person.

Exactly how are we to do that? It begins with a decision. You and I must decide to make our husbands our number one human relationship. Examine your time, it will show you were you are spending your time. Begin to choose your husband over all other human relationships. We all make mistakes and it's easy to get our priorities mixed up. Often, once children enter the home our priorities change and the kids become our number one priority. This should not be so, my friends. The best gift we could ever give our children is to make their father number one.

Do you pray for your husband daily? Did you know that it's impossible to hate or neglect the person you are praying for! We all have times in our marriage when we think, why did I do this? The only way those thoughts can be overcome is by prayer. Our first response should be to pray for our husbands, not our last response. Sadly, I must admit that I've done that more times than I can count. Once we make prayer for our husband a daily decision it softens us and helps us see him through the Lord's eyes and not our own.

The writer talks about planning for our husbands. Plan for when he comes home, by picking up the house and making yourself look like attractive. You know, she makes some pretty interesting points and I think there might be some truth to them. Read the section and ask the Lord what part you need to follow and what you don't. The divorce rate is through the roof in America, so even though some of her "suggestions" might seem like they came from the 1950s, I think it would be wise to at least think on it. A long time ago, when I read this book for the 1st time, I made the decision to pick up my front room before my husband comes home and I always at least make sure my hair is tidy. I don't want the women at work to look better than I do. I want my husband to walk through the door and look at me and think "I've waited all day to see her face." If he walks in the door and I look like death warmed over, odds are he's not thinking what I want him to! I'll tell you, if my sweetheart does come through the door and I'm not there smiling, he knows I'm sick. Ladies, I know that it's not always possible when there are little kids around the house, but you can try at least. I was convicted a long time ago that the dog shouldn't be more excited than I am to see my husband!

The one thing in this chapter that really convicted me of the most is #7- Positively respond to him. What does that mean to you? What response did you have immediately after reading that point? I have to be honest, I read this and I thought, "But, I do everything for him already! Don't I ever get to say No?" Well, ladies, there are times when I can't answer a "Sure." But, I think about it in a different light now. He knows my day is super busy, so if he's asking me to do something for him then he must really need my help. The thing is that before I would have just said, "I don't have time to do that" and wouldn't have even really thought about it twice. Now, I at least think about it and I try with all my power to answer "Sure!" Just think about it, let the Holy Spirit guide you if you need to make this change.

I'd like to end this post with an excerpt from the book. "A wife who loves her husband is a wife who prays, plans, prepares, pleases, protects, physically loves, positively responds - and then prays some more! Put this whole list to work and you'll communicate -I love you" more powerfully than words alone can!"

1 comment:

~LL~ said...

Sent you a friend request. :)