Friday, September 11, 2009

Simpler Life

Lately, I've been thinking that a simpler life is what I need. Exactly how much simpler can I get though? I have honestly been thinking about cutting out the TV. I have been reading a book that I picked up off my shelf titled Mitten Strings for God. I found out talking to a friend about the contents of the book that she had given it to me!! I think I read it when she gave it to me, put it on the shelf, and forgot about it.

This book has really been challenging me in so many areas, but the one that sticks out is her thoughts on the TV. The writer of this book took her TV out completely and their family lives that way. At first my thoughts were probably like yours- No way! I'm not doing that!
Here's an excerpt:

"In our house, eliminating television cleared a space for the things we really care about. In fact, I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that turning off the TV was the greatest single thing my husband and I have done to foster creativity, imaginative play, and independent thinking in our children. What's more, we realized that we suddenly felt more connected to each other and more in touch with ourselves....Once we see our homes as sanctuaries from a hectic world, then television begins to feel more and more like an unsavory intruder, robbing our rooms of life and meaning, stealing our time, and preying on our souls."

I guess that's where I am. I am beginning to see the TV as the intruder that it is. On Tuesday evening, Dh was away for work and the TV was driving me crazy, or maybe it was the five kids fighting over what to watch that was driving me nuts, either way it was killing me so, I turned it off! The kids protested, of course, but I was soon able to get them involved in a card game (Phase10), which lasted all evening. We took a small break for dinner, but other than that we all sat around the dining room table and talked, laughed and had a wonderful time till it was time for bed. I wish that Dh had been there to be apart of it all. I went to bed feeling so peaceful. As I sat there, surrounded by my children, I literally had the thought that these days will soon be over and our kids will be grown before I know it.

Deep thoughts for today, but I think it is worth a few minutes to alteast think about.


If you see the book at the Thrift Store pick it up!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I've been thinking about that myself. I'll have to keep my eye open for that book.

Hope you all have a great weekend!!

I love you,
Jen

RMSLIL said...

You know aside from Big Brother, Biggest Loser, Private Practice, Greys Anatomy and Amazing Race ( wow that is quite a list) the television does not bother me. It is usually just background noise for me. I will have it on but not listen or watch it. I know that is a waste of electricity. The programs I do watch I usually DVR and watch right before bed.

Praying for you as you make that decision. Remember though, no football.

~LL~ said...

Always a hard decision and something that each family must pray about and do what they think is best. We are kind of that way with video games. We don't mind the kids having them, but the more they play, the more they bicker and just make me feel rushed. That is why we limit the days and time for their gaming. We do that with TV, too. Each bedroom (aside from mine) has a tv, but they can only get PBS and Qubo....no cable. And they can watch a DVD, but they have to ask, can only have it on at certain times on certain days, and it can't interfere with homework and JBQ.